Monday, March 6, 2017

Holy. Crap.


Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God....

This. Book.

Yeah, I know I just started it. I mean, I literally just started yesterday. And, who wants to read a half-a-book review? But, unless this book totally takes a dive here on the back end, I will be able to say it's one of the best books I've ever read. One of those books that stays with you long after you read it. One of those books you could never adequately explain if you tried.

I flew through 179 pages of this sucker Sunday afternoon - and, didn't just lay in bed reading all day (which would have been the dream... but, didn't happen.) I still managed to prep all my lunches for the week, go out to dinner with my family, do dishes, put away 4 loads of laundry, listen to all three episodes of the Missing Richard Simmons podcast and do a 50 minute spin class that has rendered my lower body useless for the last 24 hours. And, I watched Girls. And, I was in bed at 10:30.

All that - and, I read half this thing. That's how good it is. It's written in such a way that's really hard to describe; I'll try to get my head around an explanation for the full review. And, they're not exactly densely-packed pages of prose. But, the pace with which I tore through this thing tells you how addictive the story is. I can't wait to stop writing this dumb thing and actually finish!


(Amazing quality on this picture, right? Given it's age and all...)


Those of you who know me (mom?) will assume the reason I love this book so much is because I have come to fetishize our 16th president. While true, it really has nothing to do with it. He is a central character, of course, but not nearly as prominent as the ghost of his newly-dead son Willie. It all sounds crazy, I know. But, it's mesmerizing.

See you after the last 200 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment