Tuesday, January 2, 2018

56. Molly's Game


This was it. The last book of the year. And, though I'm writing this review on January 2nd, I finished this one under the wire. Actually, I finished a few hours before the ball dropped to usher in 2017. 

56 books in 52 weeks. My reflections on that, coming soon in a separate post.

For now? Molly's Game.

A well-read friend recommended this book to me and, even though it's about to be released as a movie, I hadn't heard of it. It seemed like the perfect selection for a quick flight to San Francisco for an end-of-the-year getaway with my family. Something light and easy enough to read on a flight with my kids (on which I knew I'd be interrupted frequently), yet something satisfying to end this year of books.

It was just that.

Molly's Game is written by Molly Bloom, the woman described in the press as a "poker princess." I've kept myself from Googling her until after I finished the book because I first wanted to hear her story from her perspective. I expect that when I do read about her from other sources, I'll discover more of her inherent bias to to her own story. But, for now, it's her book; I have to trust her word.

Molly Bloom grew up in a competitive family where losing wasn't an option. She was brought up to be as fast and successful as her brothers, one of whom became a world champion skier. She, too, was a successful competitive skier, so you know from the jump that she's chasing that high. She finds a way to fuel that adrenaline rush running elite high-end poker games in Hollywood. 

With a mix of celebrities, billionaires and athletes, she curates the ultimate escape. Powerful men can't help but come to these games, chasing their own greed and risk. As the stakes get higher, so does Molly's risk. You feel her climbing too fast, careening towards danger - a danger that's foreshadowed in the opening pages of the book.

This book is a mix of poker, power, luxury, greed and Hollywood gossip. You know the guys at her table - and you'll find yourself really angry with one major Hollywood movie star. 

It's not Shakespeare by any means, but this book kept me interested and the pages flew by. I found myself rooting for Molly, while also being annoyed at the choices she makes. The men in the game need her - until they don't. You realize well before Molly does how little they value her as a person. You want her to make better choices, while simultaneously loving how ballsy she is, quite literally betting on herself.

It's a fast read and a fascinating one and it's about to be released as an Aaron Sorkin film. I just watched the trailer, which seems to go beyond what Molly reveals in the book. Looks to be a Jessica Chastain cleavage-heavy movie as well, and you can't be mad at that.

Here's the trailer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment