Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Deal of a Lifetime


Damn you, Fredrik Backman, you remarkable genius.

If you're one of the people who faithfully reads my reviews (and, I know there are some of you - which I think is totally cool and weird and awesome), then you know of my deep love of Fredrik Backman. Everything he writes is magical. Everything he writes leaves me in tears. The last two years, his books are among my favorites. They're among my favorites of all time, in fact.

So, this sweet little book - while actually considered a novella - is worth a quick mention, even though I read it in less time than it would take to watch an episode of This Is Us (which also - always - leaves me in tears.)

Backman's story is about the deals we make. What we're willing to trade. What it takes to become something better than what we are. It's the story of a man sick with cancer who meets a little girl dealing with the same. What can he offer her? What is he willing to give up in order to better someone else?

It's a quick read (65 small pages, many of them illustrated.) It's sweet, it's simple and it's powerful. And, if you've read everything else he's written already, it's a nice little snack to tide you over until his next book is released later this spring (Read this synopsis. I'm crying already.)

No comments:

Post a Comment