Friday, June 7, 2019

Whiskey


I finished this book last week, but I really needed to sit with it. I needed to shake it off. I needed to let it roam around inside my head before I put my thoughts on paper.

What did I learn? 

It's a good book. But, it's a hard read.

Whiskey's cover caught my eye, then I learned the author is local and that the book takes place all around me. From the reservation to where I live to the mountains and hills that make up eastern and central Washington, brothers Andre and Smoker live a tough life. From their addict parents' tumultuous home to their own misguided choices and mistakes, you find yourself wanting to root for them, but frustrated time and again at the decisions that lead them to inevitable tragedy.


This book forces that question... how much are we a product of our DNA, of our upbringing, of the small towns and small minds that pre-date our existence. How much can we blame the nurture AND the nature before we're responsible for our own lives? 

The story of these brothers meanders a bit between time periods and points of view. The writing is dense. The subject matter is heavy. There are times you can't help but sigh because you know the alcohol is going to win. You know the men are going to leave. You know the women are going to fail their children.

It's extremely well-written and I can see it being taught it schools as an example of the modern American west genre. But, it's not a story in which you can casually dwell. Read at your own risk, knowing the characters will fail themselves and your expectations. Know that it's reality for so many families in poverty. 

Despite my appreciation for the writing and the structure, I struggled to get through it. I know it's a good book, but I can't say it's a good read. The lack of redemption was just too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment