Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Immortalists


We're all busy. I'll save you the trouble. Go read this book. It's remarkable and you'll love it.

But, if you've stuck around...

I needed a good one. If you've read my last few reviews, you'll know I'm due for a book that doesn't bore or disappoint me. I even stopped reading one halfway through to read this one, which I never do. It was totally worth it.

Despite this book getting really great reviews, I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on the shelf at the library. Books on the "14-day loan" shelf are usually the good ones and the plot of this one sounded intriguing. 

It's the story of four siblings in New York who, in the late 1960s, visit a woman who can supposedly tell you the day you're going to die. They each go in alone and they never share with each other what she told them. The book then details each of their lives and how they lived with that knowledge.

If you knew the day you were going to die, how would you live your life? With extreme care? With complete reckless abandon? And, even if you didn't believe that the fortune could be correct, could you ever stop thinking about that day?

The choices each of the characters make will have you questioning how you would live - and, maybe how you're living now. There are moments of heartbreak, of shock, of reverence. It's also a book about family and the good times and tragedies that tie us together.

I loved this book. LOVED this book. Here's hoping this is the beginning of a hot streak... 


No comments:

Post a Comment