Friday, December 20, 2019

Lady in the Lake


Let me make this brief.

This one was not for me.

I saw this book on a lot of best seller lists and read a lot of accolades, but I just had a feeling from the jump that I wouldn't enjoy it. 

I probably should follow my gut.

This book will absolutely interest some people, I can appreciate that. But, it felt too much like a Dateline episode with some pretty pedestrian storytelling, some not-so-dramatic twists and turns and a big "revelation" at the end. The revelation was the most interesting part of the book, but it just took too damn long to get there.

The biggest problem with this book is that it actually tried to do too much. The main character is a woman who gets divorced in the 1960's and has to reinvent herself. She goes from, essentially, trophy wife to newspaper journalist by inserting herself into some high-profile criminal cases. The journalist in me was annoyed by it, the woman in me was annoyed by it, the reader in me was annoyed by it. 

The author tried to make it more interesting by switching points of view, which can only work if those points of view all eventually become relevant. Instead, it felt like a magic trick with no payoff. It was just... messy.

I just read a review of this book written by Stephen King. Clearly, I've missed the point. But, I like what I like - and this wasn't it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment