Saturday, April 18, 2020

Books to Read in Quarantine


Find yourself with some time on your hands lately? I feel you.

Once you're done doing all the puzzles and watching all the Netflix and making all the bread (who's making all this bread and why has no one brought me any??), you may be looking for something to read! 

I've found it's hard to concentrate right now, so you have to find something REALLY good. And, preferably something that doesn't involve a global health crisis. 

I made a list of some of my favorites over the years that fit the bill for reading in the time of coronavirus. These books transport you and get you out of your own head for a bit. Some are a little heavy, but not too heavy - and, all have unforgettable plot and character. Oh, and one is a true story of a man-eating shark. But, you're not going to the beach anytime soon anyway.

Here are some of my faves and links to my original reviews. Oh, and, if you can get these books by ordering from your favorite independent bookstore, even better. If you don't have one, may I suggest Auntie's Bookstore in Spokane!

City of Girls: I read this last summer and have recommended it to EVERYONE. Strong women in the 20s, living life on their own terms. One of my favorite books ever - and, it will take you into a different world.



Daisy Jones & the Six: I'd read this 1,000 more times if I could get the feeling I got from the first time. It's the story of a band in the 70s who made it big, then disappeared. Think Fleetwood Mac meets Janis Joplin meets.. I don't know, it's just amazing. It's told through magazine-type interviews with each of the band members. It's going to be a TV series soon, so watch it first. It also has my favorite line in a book - maybe ever.




Close to Shore: The shark book! This is my only non-fiction selection and yes, it's about sharks eating people, but it's one of the most fascinating, riveting books I've read in years. It's about the shark attacks off the Jersey shore in the summer of 1916. It's a wild story. As long as you're not planning to swim in the ocean anytime soon, I highly recommend it! (Note: I read it on vacation at the lake and I was actually scared to get in the lake...) 




My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry and Bear Town: It's weird to lump these two very different books together, but I'm trying to tell you that if you're not reading everything Fredrik Backman writes, you're doing it wrong. You're doing LIFE wrong. These are two of my favorites of his - one about the magic of grandmothers and neighborhoods, the other about the irrationality of sports fans and how they respond to scandal involving their favorite team. Both will lift you up, leave you in tears, tear you apart. Backman is a master and these are two of his best.


Love and Other Consolation Prizes: I couldn't love this book more. It's in the top five of my favorites of all time. I lent it to someone and I can't remember who, which breaks my heart every day. Jamie Ford is a fantastic writer whose books capture Seattle and the northwest in the early 20th century. This one is based on nugget of information - that they auctioned off a baby at the Seattle World's Fair in 1909. No one knows what happened to that baby, but it formed the premise of this book. It's about Seattle's history, family secrets, brothels, love... what more could you ask for? I want to carry this book in my pocket forever. If I could just get that mystery person to give it back...



Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: Set aside a day, grab a patio and dive in. I read this book in one weekend on a sun-drenched backyard couch and it crawled into my heart forever. In case you haven't noticed, I like books about women who don't have to apologize for themselves and their sexuality. It's a theme. Evelyn Hugo is a star long past her prime who finally decides to tell her own story. The story of all those affairs, all those husbands and the one relationship she kept secret from everyone. It's sweeping and beautiful and an absolute pleasure. I want to be Evelyn Hugo when I grow up.



Beautiful Ruins: I don't have a review for this because I read it long before I started this little blog, but this is the kind of book you should either read on vacation or when a global pandemic doesn't allow you to go on vacation. Written by Spokane author Jess Walter, who is a total rockstar in my world. I actually interviewed him for a news story and he hinted at this book, saying it involved Elizabeth Taylor and Italy... When I finally had the chance to read it, it absolutely blew me away. Even the cover will captivate you. Whenever friends ask what they should read on vacation, I ALWAYS tell them this - and, they're never disappointed. Here's the link/reviews from Auntie's Bookstore - you can just order it from here while you read them!

Hope this helps you make some quarantine shutdown picks! 

Now, go wash your hands... 




No comments:

Post a Comment