Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Bomb Shelter: Love, Time, and Other Explosives

 



I tried therapy last year. 

I couldn't stop feeling an overwhelming sense of doom about so many things that are out of my control. I worried constantly about my kids and my husband. I worried constantly about my family. I felt like I was losing control and was desperate to get my arms around the people in my life. 

I quit therapy. I still have the worry. But, this book helped because I realized I'm one of many moms in middle age (gross!) who feel exactly this way.

Mary Laura Philpott writes so beautifully about this challenging time in life. It's even laugh out loud funny in places. She writes about how we try so desperately to protect our kids and how life happens anyway. Her writing reminds you to live in the moment and enjoy what's here now, rather than skipping ahead. 

She writes about parenting teenagers, a journey I'm just beginning.

And, she writes about a turtle named Frank who knocks on the front door sometimes.

I love this book and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment