Monday, February 6, 2023

Mad Honey

 


This book could have been about 150 pages shorter. Still, it kept my attention all the way through the 432 pages and that, my friends, is saying something.

I didn't really know anything about this book when I picked it up. It must have been on some "must read" lists. I do know Jodi Picoult is a readable author and I didn't notice at first that a second author helped write this book. Each of them took one storyline - a woman narrated some chapters, a teenage girl the others - but, there wasn't enough of a compelling difference in the writing to make you even take notice.

The plot: a single mom, who happens to be a beekeeper, is building a life with her teenage son after escaping domestic violence. The bees play a pretty big role in this book, as plotline and as metaphor. Was there a lot about bees? Yeah. Too much? Maybe. Either way, I learned a fair amount about bees.

Okay, back on track.

The beekeeper's son Asher is arrested for killing his girlfriend and his mom begins to question everything. The book jumps back and forth between timelines for multiple characters but doesn't get confusing. Then, about halfway through, there's a MASSIVE twist that really changes what the book is all about. I won't spoil it, but I can tell you - when that twist is revealed, we don't need any more about the bees to keep this going.

The characters are just flawed enough to keep this interesting and the murder storyline was pretty predictable, I think. Still, there was enough to keep me interested and I'd recommend this book if you have some patience to get through all the stuff about the bees... 

No comments:

Post a Comment