Thursday, July 19, 2018

Us Against You



You know those books where you have to keep a pen and paper (or iPhone notes app) handy so that you can write down the quotes you find most profound? 

This is that book. You couldn't write them all down if you wanted to.

You know those books where you nearly choke up every 50 pages or so, only to close the book and sob?

Yeah, this is that book, too.

And, it's every one of Fredrik Backman books that I've had the pleasure of reading.

This Swedish author writes so beautifully, so eloquently, you find yourself jumping to the next page, waiting to see if he could possibly keep it up. Backman reaches into your chest on page 1. Then, for the next several hundred pages, he holds your heart in his hands. He'll gently squeeze it from time to time. Then, he'll grip it just enough hard that it breaks. Always, though, you feel that you're respected in the vulnerability you've given over to him. His books are, simply, breathtaking




Us Against You picks up where his book Beartown leaves off (review here.)  I do think you should read that one before this one. He reflects back enough that maybe you wouldn't need to, but I don't know why you wouldn't. The characters he brings into your life deserve two books, at the very least. So, read Beartown, then immediately pick up this book and it's like you never left.

Beartown is a town in the woods, defined by ice hockey. They live and die for what happens between the goals, whether they play the sport or not. It's all that gets them through the dismal winters and the weakening economy. 

In the prequel to this book, a horrific act divides them. People choose sides - and nothing will ever be the same. Us Against You is the aftermath of that act and that division. He goes deeper into the characters we fell in love with in Beartown and gives us insight into some that were only shadows in the first book.

It's a book about sports, about families, about fathers and sons and mothers and daughters. It's about teenage friendships, about the pride we have in the towns we complain about. It's about how small events define our lives. And, it's really fucking beautiful.

I dont want to share too much because I want it to unfold in your hands the way it did mine. I want you to put your heart in Backman's hands and give yourself over to the people of Beartown.

(Then go read all of his other books because they're all damn near close to perfect. Here's my favorite.) 



2 comments:

  1. YES! I love this book so much. Having read, loved, laughed & sobbed through Ove, Britt-Marie, and Beartown, my high hopes for this book were not disappointed.

    As a female hockey player sharing the ice mostly with men, I particularly enjoyed this one! And the timeliness and forthright handling of hard issues makes Backman my favorite current male novelist (next to David Sedaris, my favorite current male memoir/essayist).

    I'm so excited to learn hat your favorite Backman is one I have yet to read... Thank you for writing this review. It's nice to have somewhere to fangirl over this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm just seeing this comment! I love talking to people who love this book and love Backman's work. Every book he writes is incredible - and, I never knew a book could make me care so much about ice hockey!

      Delete