Sunday, May 17, 2020

Wine Girl


First of all, I thought I was the wine girl. Turns out, I'm just the lady who drinks the wine.

Either way, a co-worker thought I should read this and who am I to turn down a suggestion for a book about wine?

Now that I've finished, I give it a meh.

To continue the theme, this book was like a $12 bottle of wine you buy on a Thursday afternoon. It's fine. It's drinkable. But, it didn't knock my socks off.

Victoria James has an interesting backstory for sure. She came from a tough childhood and worked her way through the restaurant industry before becoming America's youngest sommelier. That's a pretty big deal and it's not the kind of industry that respects young women. Much of that is shown here. But, the book felt more like a methodical journey than a "rising out of the ashes."

It's fine. If you want a fruity wine you don't have to think about, it's not a bad read. If you're looking for the true inside story of the insane world of high-end wine, I recommend Cork Dork instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment