Sunday, December 9, 2018

Elevation


This review will be a quickie, just like this book. After reading a 620-page monster, it was nice to pick up something I could finish in an afternoon. And something that was totally rewarding and, in my opinion, worth the hype.

I've been reading Stephen King for most of my life. I started with Thinner in 4th grade (which is crazy, considering I have a 4th grader and I can't imagine him reading some of the gruesome things I exposed myself to.) I've gone through phases where I read everything he writes, then backed off and thought I was "too smart" for it. Then, I read 11/22/63 and realized I'm actually kind of a moron - that book was like nothing I've ever read and I still think about it all the time. Anyway, I had no idea this book was coming out until it started showing up on all kinds of "notable books" lists.

Elevation is a quick read. It's not a short story (of which King is a master), but it's not a full-blown novel either. It's about 140 pages - and, the pages are small. Because of that, it's a nice, tight read. I started it at 2 in the afternoon and finished before 10. I took breaks to make dinner, put up a Christmas tree and watch the first Rocky movie with my kids. You could knock it out in an afternoon and be free for happy hour.

Elevation tells the story of a man who is experiencing bizarre, unexplained weight loss. Sounds like Thinner, right? But the difference here is that while the scale is showing the drop in pounds, his body isn't changing. He looks the same, his clothes fit the same, etc. Throughout his story, the drop in weight loss leads to an incredible lightness and he knows that, eventually, it will be impossible to function normally.

While dealing with this, our protagonist also manages to insert himself into a divide in his community that he's determined to resolve. Maybe one big gesture before there's nothing left can ensure a legacy he'll leave behind.

This book is simple, straightforward, interesting and easy. The characters are rich, the story is unique - just what you'd expect from King. It's also - dare I say? - sweet. There's no gore, no major twist, nothing that will keep you up at night. In fact, if you start before lunch, you'll be done before the sun goes down.


No comments:

Post a Comment