Sunday, December 9, 2018

Eternal Life


Of all the book reviews that I've written on this blog, the one read by the most people is a review about a book that I HATED. If that's the trend, this one may be the most successful post of the year. Because, for me, this book was absolute torture.

I read about Eternal Life when I saw it was one of the NY Times notable books of the year. Consider this review the counterpoint.

Simply put, Rachel can't die. She's been alive for thousands of years and lived lifetimes all over the world, with different marriages, different kids, etc. Only one person on earth knows what that's like for her - a man with whom she made a vow that now makes it impossible for them to die.

Sounds interesting, right? The plot wasn't really the problem. I mean, the actual plot lines were a problem, but the general premise of the book is fascinating. If you could live forever, would you? If you could experience the joy of being with the ones you love, wouldn't you want it never to end? Well, Rachel didn't think it all the way through. What she didn't realize is that you also watch everyone you love die. You experience that grief over and over. Eternal life doesn't mean eternal happiness. It often means eternal grief.

I get it - you're still with me on this. It sounds fascinating. The real problem is that the author leaves too much on the table. She bounces between present day and events in the far distant past - but, the way she lays out the timeline of the past is confusing. She doesn't make either timeline interesting enough to make you want to know more. The characters aren't interesting or compelling enough to carry it through. I kept reading because I needed to know how it ended; I was disappointed in that, too.

Simply put, I feel like I lived a thousand lifetimes reading this. Like Rachel, I was just praying for it all to end.

Did I mention there's a love story, too? I can't. Don't make me talk about it.

I gave this book two stars on Good Reads. Why two and not one? The premise did stay with me. My grandma is 101 years old and, for years, has talked about how sad it is to watch so many people in her life die before her. Her parents, siblings, husband, one child, all of her friends. While she's experienced so much joy, there's sadness and loneliness, too.  The book also touches on the fact that the reality of death is what gives life meaning. Two stars for making me think, I suppose. But, I'd like to see the premise in better hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment