Friday, March 13, 2020

On Being 40(ish)


Maybe the 40s are that magical decade where you realize the only story that matters is your own. That's pretty badass if it's true. But, maybe it's also why there was nothing in this book that really cut through.

As a 40ish woman myself, I thought this book of essays might provide some sort of perspective about what's important at this phase of life. You're not young anymore, but you're nowhere near old either. Most often, we're out of the phase of having babies and toddlers at home and we're just now beginning to reclaim our bodies and our lives. I already know this - this is not a mystery - but, I guess I was seeking something a little deeper in this book of essays.

The stories ranged from parenting to friendships to just life in general. None were terrible, none were great. Or, maybe it's just that, at this age, our own stories are a whole lot more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment