Friday, March 13, 2020

This Will Only Hurt a Little


Not much more I need to say than the fact I knocked this sucker out in one day! So many people told me to read Busy Phillips' book, I'm not sure what took me so long to get there. But, I was hooked instantly and I'm so glad I went on this journey.

I've been a fan of Busy since Freaks and Geeks, arguably one of the greatest, most underrated TV series of all time. There's something so unique about her, you find yourself unable to look away. That's how I felt about her memoir. There's a lot here. There's funny, tragic, brutally honest.. and, all of it is told in her unmistakable voice.

I was searching immediately for why so many people had said I should read this book. Then, she talked about wearing Esprit and playing with Pound Puppies and instantly, we were 80's girls on the playground together. 

A few chapters later, she talked about a boyfriend who told her she laughed too loud; I knew then we were soul sisters. That fact alone is really all you need to know about my new kinship with Busy Phillips.

It's unflinching and open, just like her Insta stories (which, coincidentally provided a massive boost to her career.) Whether she's talking about her own ambitions or her relationships, you'll find yourself relating in a way you would probably not expect. She's honest about the challenges of motherhood - and parenting - in a way you don't often see.

I loved every word and every chapter. And, I'd swap Benetton sweaters with her any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment