Monday, June 22, 2020

Pines


This book reminds me of when I go out for a run.

Starts strong. Full of promise and enthusiasm. Possibilities are endless. By the end, I'm just kind of wheezing along, just waiting for things to be over. When it's finally over, I feel decent about where I came from. But, the whole thing is a little hazy.

This book really did start out strong. A Secret Service agent wakes up in a fog in a remote and mountainous Idaho town. He's been in an accident and, initially, can't even remember his own name. He makes his way to a hospital and quickly realizes something about this town and its people are off.

He's there to investigate the disappearance of two other Secret Service agents, one of which he had an affair at some point. But, when he finds one of them dead, his urgency to get back to his life and family grows even more. Soon, he couldn't get out of this town if he tried and he can't get a hold of anyone who can help him.

What follows is the explanation for how the town of Wayward Pines, Idaho came to exist and the secret the people living there have learned to accept.

This book had my heart racing at times. I could not guess what would happen next and could not imagine where things were going. Once the climax began to reveal itself, my interest started to wane. While I did finish understanding how we got from point A to point B, I didn't actually care that much in the end.

Like those runs, I'm glad I completed it, but I don't feel like it's necessary to repeat.

1 comment:

  1. I’m pretty sure this was made into a short-lived TV series (Wayward Pines) a couple years back. I think I felt the same way about the show...

    ReplyDelete