Monday, June 15, 2020

The City We Became


You're about to deal with a lot of prefacing. I'm going to preface this whole thing with that.

I don't remember the last time it took me this long to finish a book (almost 3 weeks?!?) By page 221, I was begging for it to be over. I just wasn't into it. But, I will PREFACE that by saying, I was reading it during: the pandemic (obvi), non-stop news coverage planning about racial protests in our city, packing up a house I've lived in for 14 years, getting two puppies AND moving into a new house. All at the same time.

So, in all fairness, I don't think a lot of books would have held my attention. But, looking at the reviews now and all the acclaim for this unique novel, I have to say - prefacing all of the above -  I just didn't get it. 

The concept of this book is fantastic and is the reason I paid full price for a hardcover new release in the first place (also, the library was still closed.) New York City is under attack and the only people who can save it are the average New Yorkers who come to embody their respective boroughs of NYC. Bronca, for example, is a streetwise artist who embodies The Bronx. Aislyn is a naive white girl who has spent her life cocooned on Statan Island. They have to work together to defeat the bizarre forces at work to take over the city. 

Cool, right? I mean, I don't read a ton of sci-fi, but I could easily get into this. And, I did understand the subtext of gentrification, etc. But, the novel itself just felt like it was constantly running somewhere and wasn't getting anywhere.

I've read that it's a love letter to New York and something only a true New Yorker would appreciate. For me, I just wanted it to end.

Maybe if I was less distracted... It's 2 stars for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment