Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Pizza Girl

 


There's a quote out there about pizza and sex and how, even when they're not great, they're still pretty good. That really is neither her nor there, except that this book has pizza in the title and I didn't think it was good at all.

I read this book in one day, I should probably say. It's a fast read, it was interesting enough that way. But, when I finished - and, even when I read other reviews - I was like: I don't get it.

Our Pizza Girl is never named until the end of the book, but we become intimately familiar with the details of her life. 19 years old, working at a pizza joint in her home town, and pregnant. Her boyfriend is sweet and, due to an accident, an orphan. Our pizza girl is doted on and loved by him and by her mother, but is overwhelmed with the life inside her and what's to come. She befriends, then becomes obsessed with a woman to whom she delivers pizza one night. And while she pushes those who love her away, she finds herself trying to get closer to this woman.

Our pregnant teen also drinks. She does it to feel closer to the alcoholic father she lost. It's a tragic note to this story. It's something I couldn't get past or forgive and it's something that I don't feel our protagonist reckons with or really pays for. Add to that, the reviews I read say this book is funny and sweet. I just didn't see it. I felt really no emotion at all.

I guess the good thing is I didn't waste more than a day on it. But, the pizza and the girl left me with a big ol' feeling of meh.


No comments:

Post a Comment