Friday, August 28, 2020

The Only Good Indians

 

It's a strange revelation when you start reading a book you know almost nothing about and find it's set in the town in which you grow up.

There it was in chapter one: Great Falls, Montana. 

This book didn't sit for long in my old hometown, but that's where things got DARK. Like, really dark. If gruesome depictions of murder aren't your thing, I'd suggest you skip past this one. I think of myself as having a pretty strong tolerance for that kind of thing (I've worked in TV news for 20 years, after all), but there were times I had to close this book and take a breath.

The book is about four guys who grow up together on the reservation in Montana. During a hunting trip 10 years before, something happens - they do something - that haunts them. I hesitate to share what, as it's a good bit of mystery that builds early on. As the anniversary nears, things start happening that set in motion a series of horrifying events. This book is a mix of fantasy, fear, Indian struggles and incredible loss. 

The writing is incredible (strangely, I found the afterword the most compelling writing in the book). I also think the story was captivating and certainly unlike anything I've ever read. But, the horror of it is real - just be warned.


No comments:

Post a Comment