Wednesday, September 9, 2020

A Monster Calls

 


I should have known that picking a book off a list of "Books That Will Make You Cry" might make me cry.

Two pages in, I worried I was in trouble.

When I reached the final chapters, I had to finish reading it in the bath. It was the next best thing to a warm hug, which is what I needed most.

Ugh, this book.

Connor O'Malley is being visited by a monster each night. It's actually a yew tree outside his window that transforms into  a monster. And, while it scares him at first, it begins to tell him stories. Just when Connor is sure it's a dream, he wakes up with sticks and leaves in his locked room.

In his waking life, Connor is dealing with a more obvious monster: the cancer that is killing his mother. His dad has moved away to America, his grandmother is too blinded by her own grief to see Connor's. Even the kids and teachers at school steer clear, refusing even to discipline him because of all he's going through at home.

He aches to be seen. Yet, the only one who appears to notice him is the monster. The monster promises to help him understand a lesson, realize a truth. No matter how much Connor is trying to run away, the monster keeps calling.

I love the rhythm with which this book is written. I want to scoop Connor in my arms and protect him forever. I ache for his mother who can do so little to protect her son from the wave of grief.

It's a quick read, but by no means an easy one. I'll never forget it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment