Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Dear Edward

 


Oh, Edward. I think I'll think about you forever.

I'll think about this book, too, which is one of my favorites I've read this year.

Edward is 12 years old when he's the lone survivor of a commercial plane crash that kills his entire family and 180-some other people on board. He's Eddie when the plane takes off from New York to California, actually. He becomes Edward when he wakes up in the wreckage in a field in California.

This book follows two timelines.One is the flight that we already know is going to crash. As those chapters march on, we watch through fingertips as we learn about the passengers on board. The other timeline is Edward's life as he tries to move on. He's living with his aunt and uncle and quickly befriends the girl who lives next door. You root for Edward earnestly; he's a worldwide phenomenon, a 'miracle' - who is just trying to be a kid at the same time.

This is kind of a spoiler, but it's what makes the book so special to me. So, if you're already sold, go read it and skip this next part. 

A couple of years into his post-crash life, Edward finds locked bags in his uncle's garage that are filled with letters addressed to him. They're from the family members of the people killed in the crash. They're imploring him to go live a big life, to fulfill the crash victims' dreams. Imagine the weight. For most, it would be crushing. For Edward, it brings purpose. A chance to release the survivor's guilt that darkens his days.

I love this book. I love the characters, I love the way those characters are built. I love Edward. I think you will, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment