Sunday, October 10, 2021

Work Happy

 


I'm not coordinated enough to read two books at once, but this was a little amuse bouche I snuck in and I'm so glad I did.

I've been a longtime admirer/disciple of Jill Geisler. She was one of the first women TV news directors in the country and has since become an incredible coach, scholar and trainer. She doesn't just coach about TV news (though she's still really good at that). She also writes books, lectures and more about the things we can do to improve life for our co-workers. 

Most of Geisler's principles in the book I've heard before, through lectures or other trainings. Still, holding this book in my hands gave me a tangible reason to look again at how I'm managing my team. Everything feels like a reset, mid-way through this pandemic. While much of what we've done as bosses feels like triage, getting back to the principles of what makes us good bosses felt like a great refresher. And now that I have the book on my shelf, I can go back and remind myself of these lessons when I feel that joy slipping away.

Her lessons focus on being a good coach and mentor, setting boundaries and showing just enough of yourself to really connect. I'm forever grateful for Geisler's presence in my life and even more grateful she passes these lessons on to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment