Sunday, October 10, 2021

Animal

 



Summer came and left without a warning...

That's both the reason I am so far behind on these book reviews AND the opening lyric of one of my favorite Richard Marx songs! Yes, I have more than one favorite Richard Marx song (hello, Hold on to the Nights?!?!) But, as I finally clear some time on a Sunday afternoon, I realized I was behind on these reviews. 

NINE BOOKS BEHIND.

Yikes.

Starting here, to a book for which I had high hopes, but didn't quite get there for me. I absolutely devoured Taddeo's non-fiction book Three Women. This one started strong and was incredibly dark in places, yet still left me wanting more.

Every review you see will say this is a story about feminine rage. Our protagonist is a woman wronged by men at nearly every turn (who also does a fair amount of wrong-ing of her own.) After witnessing a violent act, she packs up and moves across the country in search of answers only one person can give her. She's looking for revenge and looking to be avenged. She's an unreliable narrator, which is what makes the book compelling. But the darkness her character experiences - and delivers - didn't, for me, lead to a worthy payoff.


No comments:

Post a Comment