Sunday, November 15, 2020

The Meaning of Mariah Carey

 


Look, it's her book. It's her story. It's her life. But, as I read through Mariah Carey's autobiography, I kept coming back to one thought:

This is an unreliable narrator.

I'm a 90's girl at heart, so I love me some Mariah. Always Be My Baby should just become our national anthem. I didn't expect to read some great book of prose, but I am fascinated at how someone grows up to be someone like Mariah.

I think of her episode of Cribs, which is one the greatest ever. If you're not familiar, look it up. Several costume changes, she went on the Stairmaster in stilettos, she took a bath! Any woman who lives like that deserves to have her story told.

But, it doesn't mean you'll want to read it.

There's a lot here that's interesting, don't get me wrong. Mariah's childhood and family were a tragic mess. Her marriage to Tommy Mottola was even worse than you could imagine. And that brief romance with Derek Jeter was all my 90s dreams come true. But, the story is told in a haphazard way in which Mariah is responsible for nothing. Even Glitter was Tommy's fault. And she believes in her heart it was a missed opportunity at a star turn. (She was before her time, you guys.)

Look, she's a self-proclaimed famous diva and her storytelling reflects that. I just wish it could have been better told. The timelines were wonky and some of it was hard to follow. She could have spent more time describing her songwriting and collaboration process than recounting every fight she ever had with her mom.

If you're a Mariah fan like I am, do yourself a favor and just listen to her music instead. 

Better yet, enjoy this Mariah/ODB gem. 



1 comment:

  1. Great review Melissa! Not that I would read the book, but appreciate your honest take on it.
    Tony Rosetti
    Spokane Valley, WA

    ReplyDelete