Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Greenlights

 

This, my friends, is a one-flight read.

Well, actually two flights. A connecting flight in Seattle interrupted my flow.

Still, this was the perfect book to start a week-long vacation and was utterly satisifying.

I'm such a Matthew McConaughey fan, but I don't think you need to be to really get something out of this book. He goes out of his way to say it's not a memoir because he's not done. But, it truly is a journey through his life, punctuated by the "greenlights" he mentions as the things that cleared his path over the years.

He's a fascinating dude, which we know already. But, the stories about his childhood and parents and Airstream journeys across the country make for such a fun read. I especially love reading about a bizarre night in a Montana bar with a cast of characters that could make its own movie, and his story about being cast in The Pelican Brief, which launched his career.

I've heard from several people that the audio book is even better, as it's narrated by the man himself. But, if you choose to read it, it's his voice in your head all the way through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment