Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Valentine

 

Read this book.

Trust me.

From the opening chapter about a young girl's sexual assault in the Texas desert, I was hooked. Plain, yet powerful language and a heartbreaking story, along with powerful women characters makes me wonder why this book sat on my shelf for two months before I read it.

Our young teen's sexual assault touches off a divided community and ripple effects, even for people not directly involved. The fact she is an immigrant girl in 1970's oil-boom Texas adds a level of conflict that feels present, even if it's set more than 30 years ago.

The author reveals societal conflict here without being heavy handed. Young girls, abandoned. Fathers, struggling. Widows, soldiers, immigrants, victims. The whole thing comes together in such a beautifully tragic way. 

I know for sure this will be one of the best books I read this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment