Sunday, July 11, 2021

Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are Pretty

 


Did I check out this book because of the title and my 90s girl dedication to Guns n Roses?

Yes.

Was I punished for my superficiality?

Also yes.

I'll keep it brief. 

The book is yet ANOTHER novel that nods back the Aunt Becky/Varsity Blues/college admissions scandal. In this book, a prominent network news anchor gets caught up in the story she's supposed to be covering when her own husband gets arrested in an FBI sting, and accused of paying someone to get her daughter into college. 

The story isn't exactly what it seems on the surface, but the plot reveals itself so quickly, you find yourself wondering "What are we going to do with the other 350+ pages? Hum the guitar solo for November Rain? Learn to really whistle that opening on Patience? Seeing if I can get my hair like Slash?" All of those would have been better options that reading this book all the way through, which I did. 

There was one final plot twist at the end, but by then, I was so ready for it to be over, I literally rolled my eyes and closed the cover.

And do you want to know the worst part? That title was never even relevant in the story at all.

I'm back to judging books by their cover, not their title. 

And because I need you to leave this page with something positive, I give you MY favorite GNR song.



No comments:

Post a Comment