Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Should We Stay or Should We Go


 

I had such high hopes for this book and, in the end, I'd say it met seven out of 10. Style points for originality and subject matter for sure. Though, I'll admit, it lost me a little at the end.

This book focuses on a couple with varying opinions about life. After watching the death of her dad from Alzheimer's, our protagonist Kay and her husband start talking about when life is worth living. Is it worth decaying over time to a point where you don't recognize yourself and are a burden on others? That's when they make a deal: if they're still alive when they turn 80, they'll end their own lives. 

It's all well and good when that date is far in the distance. But, by the time they turn 80, Kay feels like they have so much life still to live! And Cyril, obsessed with understanding the outcome of Brexit and the COVID pandemic, wonders if he should forget his promise and see how it all plays out...

They make their decision and we see the fallout. Then, the book turns upside down.

In the second half of the book, we see multiple parallel universes. What happens if she survives and he doesn't? And vice versa? What if they end up in nursing care? What about cryogenics?? We see how every scenario would play out and, if you're like me, you'll keep changing your mind about which outcome is best.

I love the concept of this book and the characters. Like I said, though, after I got through the first few 'alternate endings', I just wished for a conclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment