Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Where the Deer and the Antelope Play

 


I swear to you, Dax Shepard has a publishing company because every time he has someone on his podcast that writes a book, I buy the book. In this case, I guess I checked out the book from the library, but you get my point.

I've always loved Nick Offerman, but it wasn't until I heard him on Armchair Expert that I knew I had to read this book. 

It's sort of  a strange choice for me on the surface, as it's a book about the outdoors and I'm a decidedly indoorsy person. But, he's so dang charming and the book starts in Montana, so how could I resist?

I expected I might like this book, which describes our relationship to nature through several scenarios and settings. I had no idea I'd love it so much I finished it in just over a day. 

The best part about this book is that you can hear Offerman's voice throughout. That very distinct voice and cadence translates seamlessly to the page. I could have listened to the audio book, but reading it, I heard his voice in my head. Ron Swanson, talking about tromping through Glacier Park? Sign me up!

Overall here, Offerman's book gently (and sometimes overtly) urges us to examine our relationship with the outdoors. Turn off the phones. Leave the headphones at home. Just walk outside and appreciate what's already here. He gets political at times. He'll make you laugh out loud (on a plane, like a weirdo). And, he's encouraged me to not only maybe try getting outside once in awhile, but more likely to just check out more of his books and cuddle up at home.

One of my favorites of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment