Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The Penelopiad

 


If I had to live with one literary genre forever, it would be "Mythology When The Women Finally Get To Speak." 

I love every book I've read like this - Circe, Silence of the Girls, etc. This one was by far the most creatively, uniquely written and it felt a little like sinking into a warm bath.

The The Odyssey, Homer is just sailing around getting in trouble. We barely hear about Penelope, who is faithfully waiting at home. This is her chance to tell her story and Atwood does it with a modern twist on her voice and what one review called "a story that becomes as wise at it is haunting."

I laughed out loud reading this. I ached for Penelope. I embraced this genre once again with a verve that has me ALMOST reaching for the classics again. Then, I remember who was telling those tales and think again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment