Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Promised Land


What am I going to write about this book that hasn't been explored in a million think pieces since the beginning of December? Probably nothing, honestly. Still, I'm happy to share my thoughts on what is the first in a series of books by our former president that - intentionally or otherwise - live in stark contrast to the presidency that is currently ending.

A couple superficial notes...

First, this book is long. 768 pages long. 

This book is also dense. 

We know this about Barack Obama - and, he acknowledges it in this book - that he often uses 359 words when he could use 59. That didn't bother me, but it is worth pointing out. 

In many ways, it's also like a text book. While you're reading about a man entering politics and experiencing life in the Senate, then the White House, you're also getting history lessons on racial unrest, Chicago politics, the Middle East, etc. It's an important read and fascinating to hear the back stories behind the decisions he made. But, it's also not a relaxing read, so to speak. Like I said, it's dense.

We know so much about every president now, so much of is detailed here is not a surprise. Still, as he chronicles his life from childhood up until the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden, I was struck how often he faced doubt. Maybe it's more in retrospect, but he certainly was not certain of every decision he made. What a contrast, if you look at the presidency we're winding down now. There is confidence here, for sure, but self-realization is a common theme throughout this book and a theme that struck me throughout.

I loved hearing about the pickup basketball games during the first presidential campaign. I loved the awe in which he approached the White House. I found myself skimming past some of the historical lessons to get to the more personal stuff. 

I realized part way through that I had heard much of it in Michelle Obama's book Becoming, which I read at the start of 2019. It was fascinating to read the experiences from both sides of the story. I found Becoming to be more personal, this book more historical and both equally valuable in understanding the Obamas' legacy.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment