Sunday, December 27, 2020

More Myself

 


I'm not here to compare two very different, very powerful, very strong women whose music I happened to love.

Maybe I am.

Either way. 

I recently read Mariah Carey's book and it just left me feeling meh. Then, I read this and I felt... empowered, enlightened, moved.

Alicia Keys is a powerful force in the music industry and this book is absolutely a reflection of that. She's also a strong wife and mother who is very much trying to define her place in the world. The best parts of this book were the ones that explored those things.

If you've followed her career at all, you know that Alicia Keys has stepped out strongly for what she believes is right and has taken some serious chances in defining who she wants to be as an artists. You feel her journey here. While Carey's book often blames others for mistakes and missteps, Keys owns all of it herself. She speaks with honesty and transparency about early attempts to turn her into a "sexy pop star." She speaks with that same honesty about the spiritual journeys she now takes and the literal trip in silence down the Nile that changed everything.

You learn a lot about Keys' upbringing and her musical journey in this book, but you also learn that it many ways, she's figuring it all out just like the rest of us. I was moved by her honesty and her strength.

And I was compelled to watch this performance on repeat, which is a fantastic way to end a good read. 



No comments:

Post a Comment