Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Unraveling of Cassidy Holmes

 


I'm sure people have written that this book is in the style of Daisy Jones and the Six.

Well.

I see it.

But, may I just say: 

This is no Daisy Jones and the Six.

If you haven't read that book, one of my favorites of last year and of all time, go ahead and stop what you're doing and read it.

Go ahead.

You're done now? Cool. Wasn't it amazing???

Okay, back to this one.

This book starts with the death of a pop star. Years after their prime, the 90s girl group Gloss finds out that one of its estranged members - the one whose abrupt departure broke up the group without explanation - has died. The rest of the book bounces back and forth between timelines. Between the height of their super stardom to life "over the hill" in their 30s (GASP!), the book tries to unravel the unraveling of the singer known as Sassy Cassy. 

There's some American Idol here. Some Spice Girls. Some MTV. Some TRL? Some #MeToo. It's a lot. And, yet, somehow, it's not nearly enough.

I found myself wondering: Is this YA or just really not well written? 

I finished it because I wanted to see how we got there. All I was left with was a desire to read Daisy Jones all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment